Help protect the beautiful natural landscapes and unique wildlife of Western Australia's Golden Outback for future generations. Find out how you can minimise the impact of your visit by considering these conservation tips.
Leave no Trace
The seven principles of Leave No Trace are recommended as a guide to minimise the impact on the natural and cultural heritage areas of Australia’s Golden Outback:
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you find
- Minimise campfire impacts
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of your hosts and other visitors
Indigenous sites are a unique and irreplaceable cultural resources for all Australians. Please help preserve these places for future generations. Avoid touching or stepping on the art. Leave the area free of rubbish and do not mark the art in any way.
Tourism operators in Australia now have access to nationally recognised Ecotourism certification processes including Ecotourism Australia and theTourism Council of WA accreditation scheme.
For visitors to Australia’s Golden Outback, Ecotourism certification processes help identify genuine ecotourism and nature tourism operators that are backed by a commitment to best practice ecological sustainability, natural area management and the provision of quality ecotourism experiences.
Reduce your carbon footprint
Climate change impacts on the fragile ecosystems of Australia’s Golden Outback. Everyone can help reduce climate change and preserve these natural wonders for future generations.
Quick tips for reducing carbon footprint on your holiday to Australia’s Golden Outback:
- Switch off lights, appliances and equipment when they're not in use
- Airconditioning can increase fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, so we recommend you set it to 24 degrees whenever it becomes too hot for you
- Turn off electrical devices such as televisions when not in use
- If you see rubbish, pick it up and recycle or dispose of it thoughtfully
- Keep your curtains and blinds closed during the heat of the day to ease the pressure on your airconditioner
- Opt for a low emissions hire car when driving through WA.