Kalgoorlie-Boulder promotional video on YouTube.
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, or Kalgoorlie as it is more commonly known, is the hub of the Western Australian Goldfields and the largest city in the Australian Outback. From wild beginnings as a gold rush town full of fortune-seekers it has grown into a bustling cosmopolitan twin city with a distinctive character. And being just an hour’s flight or a day’s drive/train journey from Perth, it’s a popular tourist destination.
The Western Australian gold rush began in 1893, when Paddy Hannan found gold in the area. Today, Kalgoorlie-Boulder is one of the most important mining areas in the world, with several large mining operations located in and around the city, including the huge Super Pit.
As rich in history as it is in gold, the city has an impressive array of heritage buildings, including the magnificent Kalgoorlie Town Hall, Boulder Town Hall and St Mary’s Church, as well as grand hotels, outback pubs, shop fronts and private homes. A visit to Hannans North Tourist Mine will also offer a fascinating insight into the area’s colourful past. And beyond the city, eerie ghost towns tell the story of early gold prospecting dreams that have long been abandoned.
In contrast, Kalgoorlie has a thriving nightlife and a wide variety of modern tourist attractions, shops and leisure facilities. In fact, the city has more restaurants and hotels per capita than any other regional centre in Western Australia, and plays host to many of the region’s biggest events.
There’s an excellent choice of Kalgoorlie accommodation, ranging from five-star luxury resort hotels and first-class motels through to self-catering units, caravan parks, bed and breakfasts, and backpackers lodges.
Kalgoorlie-Boulder holiday highlights
- Discover the wild gold rush past on a walk around the city’s grand historic buildings and fascinating museums.
- Enjoy a stroll through the pretty parks and natural bushland of Hammond Park, Kalgoorlie Arboretum or Karlkurla Bushland Park.
- Join a tour of the legendary Royal Flying Doctor Service Base.
- See the awesome sight of one of world’s biggest open cut mines at the Super Pit.
- Experience the festive atmosphere of the annual Boulder and Kalgoorlie Cup.
- Check out the Boulder Market on the third Sunday of every month and explore the busy mix of displays, stalls, entertainment and tours.
- Take a refreshing swim in the largest indoor pool in Western Australia at the Goldfields Oasis.
- Stroll or drive down Hay Street to see Kalgoorlie’s notorious red light district.
- Enjoy a night on the town and catch some live music in Kalgoorlie’s pubs and nightclubs.
- See visiting artists performing at the Arts Centre.
- Take in the superb views of the city from Mt Charlotte.
For more information about Kalgoorlie and Kalgoorlie accommodation, visit the Kalgoorlie Goldfields Visitor Centre website www.kalgoorlietourism.com, or the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder website www.kalbould.wa.gov.au.
Suggested outback drive routes