Merredin is the largest regional centre in the east of the Western Australian Wheatbelt, and is a comfortable three-hour drive east of Perth on the Great Eastern Highway. An alternative route is via Toodyay and Goomalling along the Pioneers’ Pathway or via York, Quairading and Bruce Rock. Two hours to the south is Wave Rock at Hyden.
The region supplies up to 40% of the State’s grain harvest and you can check out the huge CBH grain handling terminal by joining the town tour that departs daily in the late afternoon. Half-day wildflower tours also run from August to October, showing you the colourful blooms of some of the 980 plus wildflower species native to the area. Contact the Central Wheatbelt Visitor Centre for details.
With plenty of parks, gardens, and a wide range of accommodation and cafes, it’s an ideal base for exploring Merredin attractions and the sights of the Western Australian Wheatbelt. The town is also serviced daily by the TransWA, The Prospector and Avon Link passenger trains.
- Follow the interpretive walk trail to the top of Merredin Peak and see the engineering techniques used by early pioneers to harvest water from the rock.
- Climb the signal tower and check out the displays of railway memorabilia and social history at the Merredin Museum.
- Explore the old site of the World War II Army hospital and the displays at the Military Museum.
- Take a tour of the fly tower and pressed tin interior of the heritage listed Cummins Theatre, available weekends only.
- Walk the interpretive trail at Totadgin Conservation Park to see the mini wave rock and the unique plants, wildflowers and animals of the Wheatbelt woodland.
- Drive one of the many outback self drive routes to explore rock formations, the Rabbit Proof Fence and heritage sites.
- Pack a picnic and head out to Roy Little Park, Alex Park, Merredin Peak or Tamma Parkland.
Hotel, motel, bed and breakfast and caravan park accommodation is available in and around the town. Search Wheatbelt accommodation.
Contact the Central Wheatbelt Visitor Centre for more information about Merredin accommodation, Merredin attractions and drive routes.
Suggested outback drive trail