Things to do in Menzies in 1 Day
As travel restrictions are still in place, we can't encourage you to travel just yet, but now's the perfect time to plan, research and get excited. For up to date travel advice, please visit this page on our website.
- Start the day by booking at the Menzies Caravan Park, then a walk and explore the interpretive panels, old buildings, and sites of interest throughout the town.
- Take time out to enjoy a mid morning coffee break at the Achievable Outback Cafe.
- View an amazing rock collection, history room or buy a souvenir at the Lady Shenton Building.
- Take a look in the Pioneer Store Gallery with its display of local art and photography.
- Pack a picnic lunch & head just 51km to the stunning Lake Ballard on the Menzies-Sandstone Road (first 27km sealed and 30km unsealed) where you will view amazing statues on the salt lake, by Antony Gormley.
- Kick back and enjoy a drink in the beer garden and a home cooked meal at the historic Menzies Hotel.
Things to do in and around Menzies in 2 Days
- Take a trip to Kookynie and Niagara Dam (only 42 km to Kookynie turn off & 26km to Kookynie on bitumen road) and explore the 'living ghost town of Kookynie', part of the Golden Quest Discovery Trail. Seek out 22 sites featuring interpretive panels, buildings & mining history that surrounds the town. Explore and discover why a thriving town of over 3,500 people in 1905 would become a 'ghost town' of less than 20!
- Call into the "Kookynie Grand Hotel" for lunch or a 'coldy'. Better still, opt to stay the night and view the display of old photographs, enjoy a home cooked meal, and immerse yourself in the history and 'feel' of this hotel. For meals, accommodation, fuel, supplies and caravan camping - telephone (08) 9031 3010.
- Only 10km drive from Kookynie, Niagara Dam (is a hidden gem!). Follow the panels, and find out how & why the dam was built. Enjoy the various walk trails available at the site, including 'The Breakaway Trail' and 'Round the Dam Trail'.
If camping is your style stay at the free Campsite and Niagara Dam. Explore the natural reserve, birdlife, and wildflowers. Views are spectacular and camping is free. Gas BBQ, toilets and dump site provided. BYO firewood!
For up to date travel advice, please visit this page on our website.