What's blooming now around the Goldfields
(Last updated 6 September 2019)
Renowned for its majestic eucalypt woodlands, vast salt plains and gold rush history, traditionally from mid-August wildflowers around the Goldfields start blooming but some areas are starting now. To travel this region purchase a copy of the Golden Quest Discovery Trail.
2019 Wildflower predictions and sightings
Between Menzies and Kalgoorlie - Travellers are reporting several species of wildflowers are now appearing along roadside (Goldfields Highway), between Menzies and Kalgoorlie. Updated 6 September 2019.
Kalgoorlie - Our contact over at Kalgoorlie Boulder Visitor Centre reports while the annuals are not blooming just yet, some of the local bushes and trees are in flower in Karlkurla Park and the surrounding bushland. Some of the species you will see at Karlkurla Park include:
- Jam Wattle (Acacia acuminata) - now flowering and budding, will be showing for the next month
- Tan Wattle - budding should be flowering in the next month or so
- Kalgoorlie Hop Bush (Dodonea lobulata) - seeds are spectacular this time of year and will be out for the next month or 2.
- Thorny Hovea (Hovea acanthoclada) - Deep purple flowers in bloom now and showing for the next week or two.
- Lemon Flowered gum (Eucalyptus woodwardii) - Flowering at the moment and probably for the next month or so.
- Goldfields Daisy (Olearia mulleri) - In flower in the park, but not for long (see photo below).
- Westringa rigida - In flower but not for long. Updated 8 August 2019.
Golden Quest Discovery Trail
Embark on your Outback adventure along the Golden Quest Discovery Trail, spanning 965 kilometres through Western Australia's Goldfields from Coolgardie through to Laverton. This popular drive route traverses 25 interpretive sites highlighting the 1890s gold rush region, classic pubs, outback ghost towns and changing natural landscapes including nature reserves and campsites.
Follow the video links below to view some of the amazing attractions you'll encounter along the Golden Quest Discovery Trail