Mangowine Homestead has long been a place of hospitality, a necessary stop for people travelling through the region. Its setting is a powerful reminder of each individual’s place in, and relationship to, the environment. The original cottage was built in c1876 for Charles and Jane Adams, a home from which to manage their pastoral leases. In c1889, a second adjacent building was erected as an inn.
Mangowine provided hospitality for prospectors and others on their way to and from the eastern goldfields. It also serviced members of the local community as a place of rest and refreshment on their journeys to other areas.
Notwithstanding the comings and goings of visitors and travellers, Mangowine remained an isolated place. Nowhere is this more evident than when standing by the nearby graves of Charles Adams and one of his grandchildren. By 1910 the Mangowine leases, together with most of the surrounding lands, had been subdivided into 1,000 acre farm lots.
Mangowine Homestead is leased by the Shire of Nungarin, which manages tours and bookings for camping and caravan stays. See the Shire’s website for details or contact the caretaker.