Melangata station is situated in the Yalgoo region of Western Australia between the Murchison and Mid-west. The station has always been a sheep station mostly running Merino sheep until the early 2000s, now running Damara, Dorper cross meat sheep.
The station has a unique homestead that was designed by the Priest Architect, Monsignor John Hawes who spent over 20 years in the Geraldton Diocese and is responsible for the design, construction and overseeing of many Catholic churches and buildings in the area, the majority of which are still being used today.
Melangata Homestead is the only privately owned residential John Hawes designed building in Australia and Melangata Homestead has its own tiny chapel nestled within the walls of the main building.
We offer a number of different accommodation options from an unpowered bush camp site situated near the shearing shed with access to hot showers and flush toilets.
There are dinner, bed and breakfast guest rooms in the homestead and in the future self-contained shearers quarters and cottage accommodation.
Melangata is a haven for over 40 different species of bird and we also have Hopping Mice, Fat Tailed Dunnarts and Micro Bats that live in the Homestead. Not to mention the many different reptiles that frequent the landscape and the Homestead.
When the season is good we have many different types of wildflowers including 20 species of Eremophila. There are also Grevillea, Cassia, Acacia, Native willows and carpets of everlastings when the rains favour us.
We offer guided station tours to some of the more spectacular areas we have found and are only too happy to take you to a sundowner location.
- All unpowered bush sites from $12.50 per person, per night. Kids under 10 free.
- Homestead rooms (meals included, Adults only)
- Large Queen room from $200 per night single / $260 couple
- Twin share Queen and single bed room from $260 per night couple
- Standard Queen room from $200 per night single / $250 couple
- King room from $220 per night single / $300 couple
- Twin share King and single bed room from $300 per night couple
- Elegant Bell Tent and all camping gear in the campground provided.
- Escorted self-drive tagalong ¾ day station tour and sausage sizzle lunch from $30 per person. Kids under 10 free.
- Escorted self-drive Sundowner BYO drinks and nibbles from $20 per person (minimum of 4 people).
- Turret Sundowner, champagne and nibbles up the Turret. Maximum of 2 people and must be fit enough to climb a narrow set of stairs and a wooden ladder from $50 per person.
Couples or twin share fully catered remote bush camp Glamping experience
- 2 nights at a secret location in the wilderness in an elegant Bell Tent with all camping gear provided, bush toilet, shower facilities and three meals a day cooked by your host.
- Experience complete peace and tranquillity at an amazing location on the station very few people have visited from $2,000.
Camp oven cooking classes
- Camp oven cooking classes at the station from $70 per person. Get a group of mates together and bring your camp ovens and ingredients to cook up a long table feast to share. Minimum 10, maximum 20 participants. Price includes 2 nights camping, damper making on first night. Homestead tour and a ¾ day station tour. Camp oven Master class on the second night and shared long table dinner.
Camp oven cooking classes at your place
- Up to 500km travel distance from $95 per person.
- Over 500km travel distance extra $400 plus accommodation costs. Minimum 10, maximum 20 participants.