Aboriginal Permits

Permits for Aboriginal lands are essential for travel on Aboriginal-owned land in Western Australia's Golden Outback. Not only do they protect the privacy of Indigenous communities, preserve Indigenous heritage and culture, and safeguard the natural environment, they also assist in ensuring your safety.

Western Australia's Aboriginal people are embracing tourism opportunities as a means of economic sustainability for their families and communities. Increasingly they are inviting Western Australians, as well as national and international tourists, onto their lands to experience the Aboriginal culture and lifestyle and the rugged beauty of Western Australia's Golden Outback.

The Outback Way between Laverton and Uluru is patrolled and fines will be issued if visitors have not obtained a permit. Permission to travel through these areas is granted through the Aboriginal Lands Trust at the Department of Aboriginal Affairs.

There is no cost for the permit, which is a legal requirement under the Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority (AAPA). Permits are granted for a period of time to allow travel through the reserve by the most direct route. Permission can also be obtained from the resident Indigenous communities for applicants who want to travel off the main road.

There are two application forms that must be submitted; one to the Central Land Council and the other to the Aboriginal Land Trust. Allow two to three weeks for your application to be processed. It is the right of the traditional owners to refuse an entry permit. When travelling through Aboriginal Lands, drivers are prohibited to divert off the main road.

The following document 'Do I need a permit?' may also help determine what permits you may require for traversing Aboriginal Lands in Western Australia.

National Park Passes

National park passes are required for entry to the national parks of Western Australia's Golden Outback. A range of passes are available to suit your holiday requirements

Day Pass

This pass covers entry into one or more parks on any one day. Passes are available from rangers within the parks. In some parks, a system of self-registration applies.

Holiday Park Pass

If you are on holiday and want to visit a number of national parks, this pass entitles you to as many visits to as many parks as you wish for any four-week period.

Annual All Parks Pass

This pass entitles you to visit any park throughout Western Australia as many times as you wish for a period of 12 months.

Travelling with pets

Please note that dogs and cats cannot be taken into any of Western Australia's national parks and nature reserves. Some caravan parks do not accept pets either. Be sure to contact caravan parks in advance to search for pet-friendly accommodation.

For further information regarding national park passes, visit the Parks and Wildlife Service website.

Planning tools