Kalgoorlie-Boulder, or Kalgoorlie as it is more commonly known, is the hub of the Western Australian Goldfields and the largest city in the Australian Outback. From wild beginnings as a gold rush town full of fortune-seekers, it has grown into a bustling twin city with a distinctive character. Rich with history, heritage and complimented by a dynamic and cosmopolitan vibe, Kalgoorlie offers a unique adventure. And being just an hour’s flight or a day’s drive or train journey from Perth, it’s a popular tourist destination.
Kalgoorlie’s thriving days of glory began in 1893 when Irish prospectors Paddy Hannan, Tom Flanagan and Daniel Shea were travelling and forced to stop when one of their horses cast a shoe. During the halt in their journey, the men found 100 ounces of alluvial nuggets that led to one Australia’s greatest gold rushes ever witnessed.
Kalgoorlie remains one of the most important mining areas in the world, with several large mining operations located in and around the City, including the huge Super Pit, so big it can be seen from space! You can even take a tour of the Super Pit with Kalgoorlie Tours and Charters on a mind-boggling Super Pit tour.
As rich in history as it is in gold, the city has an impressive array of heritage buildings, including the magnificent Kalgoorlie and Boulder Town Halls, as well as grand hotels, outback pubs, shop fronts and private homes. A visit to Hannans North Tourist Mine, the Goldfields War Museum and the Museum of the Goldfields will also offer a fascinating insight into the area’s colourful past, . Kalgoorlie also has a vibrant arts community some of which include Heartwalk, a public art project in the heart of the CBD, and the Goldfields Arts Centre, a first class arts experience that hosts live shows, conferences and exhibitions.
Beyond the city, eerie ghost towns tell the story of early gold prospecting dreams that have long been abandoned.
There is more than just gold that will send you rushing to Kalgoorlie
With an array of renowned events and must-see attractions, Kalgoorlie is definitely one city that deserves a ranking on your bucket list. Check out the Top 10 Interesting Things To Do in Kalgoorlie. For more information, and tour and accommodation bookings, visit the Kalgoorlie Boulder Visitor Centre website www.kalgoorlietourism.com
Kalgoorlie Boulder tours
- Kalgoorlie-Boulder offers visitors a great range of tours - everything from gold prospecting tours where you can try your luck searching for gold in Australia’s richest gold fields, to exploring the fascinating gold rush history, or even putting on a hard hat and taking a thrilling tour of Australia’s largest open cut mine on a Super Pit tour, to learning about Kalgoorlie’s rich Aboriginal history on an Aboriginal cultural tour.
Kalgoorlie Boulder holiday highlights and attractions
- Tee off at the premier Kalgoorlie Golf Course, an 18-hole grass golf course boasting spectacular desert views;
- Discover the wild gold rush past on a walk around the City’s grand historic buildings and fascinating museums by undertaking the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Audio Walking Tour;
- Enjoy a stroll through the lush green parks and natural bushland of Hammond Park, Kalgoorlie Arboretum and Karlkurla Bushland Park;
- View the Goatcher Curtain, a rare art piece housed at the Boulder Town Hall. Art lovers will delight in seeing the famous and last remaining working stage curtain of its kind in Australia;
- Join a tour of the legendary Royal Flying Doctor Service Base;
- Immerse yourself in colourful and vibrant street art by taking the Heartwalk;
- See the awesome sight of one of the world’s biggest open cut mines at the Super Pit and book a tour and see the inner workings of the Super Pit with Kalgoorlie's Tours & Charters;
- Experience the festive atmosphere of one of the most iconic racing events in the nation, “The Kalgoorlie Cup”.;
- Check out the Boulder Markets on the third Sunday of every month and explore the busy mix of displays, stalls, entertainment and tours;
- Take a refreshing swim at Goldfields Oasis, a world-class aquatic facility for the community and visitors;
- Stroll or drive down Hay Street to see Kalgoorlie’s notorious red light district;
- Enjoy a night on the town and catch some live music in Kalgoorlie’s pubs and nightclubs;
- Sit front row to world-class shows and entertainment at the Goldfields Arts Centre.
Kalgoorlie Boulder accommodation
- There’s an excellent choice of Kalgoorlie accommodation, ranging from five-star luxury resort hotels and first-class motels through to self-catering units, caravan parks, bed and breakfasts, and backpackers lodges.