Famous for our quirky Tin Horse Highway, Bush Races event and giant waterslide, the vibrant Kulin region provides a true rural experience. Kulin is also the perfect base to explore the Eastern Wheatbelt. Easy day trips can be made to many of the region’s unique and iconic sights including Wave Rock.
The area has a diverse history of sandalwood production, gold fossicking and pastoralism, which can be explored throughout the Shire of Kulin. Now a booming Wheatbelt town, it has much to offer the visitor, from walk trails to a giant water slide.
- Tin Horse Highway: Laugh your way along Western Australia’s most hilarious highway. Dubbed a ‘quirky open-air gallery’, this famous collection of clever community art provides a seriously entertaining 20km drive.
- Discovery Zone: The area along Kulin’s main street includes picnic facilities, public amenities, a war memorial, artworks and interpretative signage which tell of Kulin’s past, present and future. The also contains Kulin’s 72 HR RV Friendly Parking Area.
- Giant Waterslide and Aquatic Centre: Fill your day with summer fun at regional Australia’s biggest waterslide, located at the vibrant Kulin Aquatic Centre. (Open during summer months) Tel: (08) 9880 1204
- West Kulin Tin Horses: The tin horses on the western side of Kulin town provide a fun introduction to the Bush Races and the Tin Horse Highway.
- Butler’s Garage: Visit the Kulin Museum which is housed in one of Kulin’s original buildings. The museum contains an impressive collection of vintage cars, farm equipment and machinery. Open Saturday mornings and by appointment. Tel: (08) 9880 1359 or 0427 811 970.
- Kulin Bush Races Weekend: Indulge in spectacular scenery, rural hospitality, novelty events, camping, live entertainment, delicious food and horse racing at this iconic annual outback event. The Kulin Bush Races is completely run by community volunteers with all profits going back into important community programs, facilities and initiatives. (First weekend, every October).
- Jilakin Lake and Rock: Stop and admire the breathtaking views from the top of Jilakin Rock or enjoy a picnic under the most inland stand of Jarrah tree’s found in the area. This is where you will also find the Kulin Bush Races Track.
- Buckley’s Breakaway: The perfect spot for a picnic and a photographers delight. This picturesque landform displays a contrast of vibrant orange clays against spectacular white cliffs and gullies.
- Spectacular Seasonal Wildflowers: Experience Kulin’s wonderful Nature Reserves, walk trails and roadsides which put on a spectacular seasonal show of color. The Macrocarpa Walk Trail, Hopkins Nature Reserve, Jilakin Rock, Dragon Rocks Nature Reserve and Buckley’s Breakaway are good spots to see wildflowers. [Best in Spring- Sept – Nov].
RV Friendly Town
Kulin is the perfect base for those ‘on the road’. Free 72 hour parking is available for fully self-contained caravans and RVs in the town’s newly created Discovery Zone along Kulin’s main street (Johnston Street).
Kulin Caravan Park
Pay what you like! The Kulin Community are so keen to welcome visitors the Kulin Caravan Park allows guests to contribute what they feel their stay and experience is worth. Bookings: 0439 469 850. Terms and conditions apply so check out the Shire of Kulin's website www.kulin.wa.gov.au