The largest centre in the Murchison region, located approximately 500 kilometres inland from Geraldton, Meekatharra is a thriving mining, sheep and cattle district. Originally a gold prospecting town, first settled in 1896, the town and surrounding area features a host of old mining pits and relics from the wild Australian gold rush era.
Gold mining still continues on a small scale today, and as a visitor you are welcome to try your luck at prospecting. See the gold prospecting and fossicking section for details. And for nature-lovers, there are plenty of opportunities to see Western Australian animals and explore rock formations.
- Take the Meeka Town Heritage Walk or the Creek Trail to discover the history and heritage of Meekatharra and its people.
- Follow the three kilometre Meeka Rangelands Discovery Trail for a fascinating insight into the Indigenous history, nature and cultural heritage of Meekatharra.
- Pack a picnic and head out to Peace Gorge, just five kilometres from town off the Gascoyne Junction Road, and explore the interesting granite rock formations.
- View over 100 photographs and interesting memorabilia of this outback town at the Meekatharra Museum.
- Walk down Main Street and take a look at the State Battery and other interesting relics of the town’s gold prospecting past.
- Catch a movie at the outdoor Picture Garden.
- Explore the ghost towns of Peak Hill and Nannine, where the ruins and old gold mines can be viewed.
- Check out the 25 Mile Well located 40 kilometres north of town on the Great Northern Highway. During 1976, the Meekatharra Lions Club restored the well as a tribute to the old drovers and stockmen.
You’ll find a good range of Meekatharra accommodation, including motels, hotels and a shady caravan park. Search accommodation by location.
Visit the Meekatharra Shire website at www.meekashire.wa.gov.au for more information about Meekatharra accommodation and attractions.
Flying to Meekatharra
Skippers Aviation is Western Australia's truly regional airline, offering regular scheduled services from Perth to Meekatharra.