Ravensthorpe Shire, on the Fitzgerald Coast of Western Australia’s Golden Outback, boasts 200 kilometres of amazing coastline and pristine natural bushland covering two thirds of the region. Situated south-east of Perth, between Esperance and Albany, it enjoys a temperate Mediterranean climate with beautiful sunny winter days and cool summer nights.
The town of Ravensthorpe is surrounded by ancient rocky ranges, rugged river valleys, vast sand plains, rare animal species and historical mining sites. Visit in spring and you’ll also be treated to an awesome display of Western Australian wildflowers. Stop and enjoy the town’s facilities, including a rest area, public toilets and barbeque facilities in Jubilee Park on Morgan’s Street.
- Embark on a full day’s adventure in your four wheel drive through the Fitzgerald River National Park, following Hamersley Drive.
- Ravensthorpe PUBLIC Silo - the artwork on the Ravensthorpe silos follows the flowering cycle of a Banksia, native to the region.
- Check out the Wildflower Show in September, featuring 600 specimens.
- Explore the town’s historic buildings, including the restored Ravensthorpe Community Centre and enjoy a beer and a meal in the old Palace Hotel.
- Indulge in delectable sweets and ice creams and take a photo of the World’s Biggest 'Lollipop' in Ravensthorpe!
- Take a day trip to visit the world-famous Wave Rock, enjoying wildflowers along the way in spring.
- Follow the walk trail to Archer Drive Lookout and enjoy sweeping farmland and mountain views.
- Tackle one or all four sections of the scenic Railway Heritage Walk Trail running between Ravensthorpe and Hopetoun.
- Admire 360° views of the town, national park, mountains and sea along the Ethel Daw Scenic Drive.
- Pack a picnic and follow Mt Short Scenic Drive to take in the views from the highest point in the region.
- Head out to Pallarup Rocks along Mt Madden Scenic Drive for views, climbing and amazing spring wildflowers.
- Visit the beautiful beaches and camping areas surrounding the rural community of Jerdacuttup, or check out the historic settlement of Fitzgerald.
There are many places to spend the night. Choose from hotel and motel rooms, backpacker accommodation, a caravan park with chalets and a campground, see www.fitzgeraldcoast.com.au for information.
Fitzgerald Coast Visitor Guide
The Shire of Ravensthorpe produces a visitor guide for the Fitzgerald Coast. To get your own copy, download the PDF here.
Ravensthorpe Wildflower Show - celebrate the Fitzgerald Coast's unique flora
Held annually in September, the town of Ravensthorpe along Western Australia’s Southern Coast hosts the Ravensthorpe Wildflower Show, regarded as one of the biggest wildflowers displays in the world, with over 600 labelled specimens.
Follow the video links below to view more.