The area around this friendly farming community was first explored in 1831 by Captain Bannister en route from Perth to King George III Sound (Albany). Williams has been a convenient stopping place for travellers on the same route since the 1850s.
Most of the buildings in the town were constructed around 1905. Williams is still reliant on the wool and coarse grains industry, and around 1,000 people live in the district, with approximately 400 in the town itself.
For more information about Williams attractions, visit the Shire of Williams website www.williams.wa.gov.au