The Junction races is one of the oldest bush race meetings in Western Australia. Originally called ” The Lyons and Minilya Amateur racing club” JRC was established in 1907. The first race meeting was held on the Box Gully Flats just out side of Gascoyne Junction township. Most race horses were from local stations and were walked for several days to the Junction to race. From 1908-1930 the races were not held every year as interest in the races waned due to the great depression and drought.
From 1930 the races were held at Dairy Creek station, east of Gascoyne Junction until the out break of WWII. After WWII the race club official changed it’s name to “Junction Race Club” and ran the week before the Carnarvon Cup. The races have been held every year since 1947. The current location of the race club is situated 10km west of Gascoyne Junction on Jimba Jimba station.
The JRC committee is made up of hard working volunteers who dedicate their time to ensure the survival of this remarkable race weekend.
Events over the weekend include live music, horse racing, gymkhana, barrel races and fashions on the field.