31 Bates Street, Merredin, 6415
This heritage listed theatre on Bates Street has been a proud fixture in Merredin's cultural history since it was relocated from Coolgardie in 1927.
Originally for film screening, Cummins Theatre was one of the first venues to show "talking" pictures in the Commonwealth and for many years was considered state of the art in its field. The theatre owes its existence in Merredin to James Cummins, who was the Mayor of Kalgoorlie and owner of both the Merredin and Kalgoorlie breweries.
Mr Cummins purchased the Tivoli Theatre, which had been built in Coolgardie in 1897, and had it dismantled and sent in pieces to Merredin by train. Here, the thirty year old theatre was rebuilt where it stands today on Bates Street. Renamed in honour of its founder, Cummins Theatre opened to the public on 10 October 1928.
Cummins Theatre had extensive conservation work completed in September 2010 and now holds a wide variety of touring productions, theatrical and musical performances.
Weekday tours of the theatre can be arranged with the manager.
The Cummins Theatre is a multi purpose flexible performance space. It is used annually to present a diverse range of works by professional touring companies, in house productions by Cummins Kids and Merredin Repertory Club, live simulcasts and cinema screenings.
Our facility also contains a conference room (Tivoli Room), commercial kitchen, licensed bar, and a small visual arts gallery, allowing us to host workshops, award ceremonies, dinners, conferences, weddings, and more.
Seating in the theatre is flexible allowing for a multitude of seating options from standard theatre rows, to cabaret tables, long dinner style seating, or opening up the auditorium floor to accommodate dancing.