Tammin was first settled in 1893 by John Packham with more settlers arriving in the 1900s. The town of Tammin was gazetted in 1899, taking its name from the Tammar, a small marsupial. The town continued to grow with the completion of the Goldfields Water Supply and the railway line to Kalgoorlie.
Tammin was the original site of the wells and dams used by Charles Hunt along his early exploration route. Hunts Well is a historical site located a few kilometres south of the town.
Yorkrakine Rock - Located 25 kilometres north of Tammin on the Yorkrakine Road. It is a spectacular large granite outcrop surrounded by largely untouched Wheatbelt woodland. There is a well maintained access road to the base of the rock and picnic facilities, and a popular location to view birds.
The nearby Charles Gardner Flora Reserve puts on an impressive display of colourful wildflowers and is well worth the detour during spring and winter.
For more information about local attractions, visit the Shire of Tammin website.