The Coolgardie Railway Station was opened on 23 March 1896. Traffic in the early period included a train each way, every day to and from Perth and was known to be one of the busiest stations in the state.
The building is made of stone and brick with a ribbed iron roof and is similar in design and detail to other railway stations of the period in the state.
The last passenger train to pass through Coolgardie was the evening express from Kalgoorlie to Perth on 28 November 1971 and was farewelled by local citizens.
The old locomotive and carriages can be viewed from the platform at the back of the station, and the station itself has been repurposed as a recording studio for regional artists.