Be sure to check out the ghostly remains of the Old Telegraph Station in Eucla. Take a photo of this constantly changing landmark before it disappears under the ever encroaching white sand dunes. Now it is little more than a few old stone walls protruding above the moving dunes.
The starkness of the surrounding white dunes creates a spectacular image, which can be seen to the south of the town of Eucla. The original town was established in 1877 as a manual repeater station for the overland telegraph.
The remainder of the original town is now under the sand after a plague of rabbits ate most of the dune vegetation which then caused large sand drifts to encroach on the townsite.
Eucla is located ten minutes from the South Australian border and is a two day drive east of Perth.